Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ROLAND GARROS!!! 2008

+3
Crazy Lady
Pez
babyb
7 posters

:: Tennis :: Tennis :: General

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

ROLAND GARROS!!! 2008 Empty ROLAND GARROS!!! 2008

Post by babyb Mon May 26, 2008 9:34 am

Ame playing today Very Happy

I miss her I love you
babyb
babyb

Back to top Go down

ROLAND GARROS!!! 2008 Empty Re: ROLAND GARROS!!! 2008

Post by Pez Mon May 26, 2008 7:39 pm

hehe me too ...

Pez

Back to top Go down

Post by babyb Mon May 26, 2008 8:19 pm

Pez wrote:hehe me too ...
hey Pez, missed you Very Happy
babyb
babyb

Back to top Go down

Post by Crazy Lady Tue May 27, 2008 11:11 pm

Between the time they started and re-started I had 3 different classes, bought groceries, cooked,ate, had a powernap of an hour and when they finally started to play i had to leave...but i did catch some action *love the livestream and wireless network at school wink*
Crazy Lady
Crazy Lady
Admin

https://theplacetobe.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

ROLAND GARROS!!! 2008 Empty First match interview -

Post by JOIE Wed May 28, 2008 8:43 pm

OK I think this is the place to post this interview after her first match.
(Apologies if it's been posted elsewhere)
Glad to hear some positive things coming from her -

-----------------------------------------------------------
Q. Do you think that in the past, if you had been in that situation today, waiting for three hours for your match, then I mean, to go off for another three hours, that you would not have handled it as well as you did today?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: I think I was already in these kind of situations, whether it was here or at Wimbledon. And I usually ‑‑ I'm okay with that. I usually don't get too stressed out during the breaks or whatever.

It's been like this for a few years now, so I would, yeah, I would say it happened last year, also, already. So, yeah, maybe at the beginning when you're very young you kind of don't know really what to do and maybe get a little bit too excited between those, in those breaks.

But now I guess I'm doing okay. Yeah, a few years now.

Q. As a leading French player, perhaps you'd like to make a comment on this. We're getting very excited about our new roof at Wimbledon. Have you ever thought that perhaps there might have been some plans to do something here?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: I know they have some plans, whether it's here on this court or somewhere else. I don't know exactly where the plan is and how advanced it is. But, yeah, we definitely would like to have that, even though conditions would be very different, I think.

Definitely would make a big change. And even at Wimbledon I think it would ‑‑ yeah, be a big difference, but we'll see, you know.

Is it this year or next year, right?

Q. Next year.

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Next year it's going to be able to close. Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see the difference it makes, and if it really ‑‑ in the draw, throughout the two weeks, if maybe a few surprises arrive.

Q. Which is more difficult: a rainy day at Wimbledon or a rainy day here?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Well, Wimbledon I have the house about two minutes away, so... I can go back there and it's pretty ‑‑ I'm just walking distance. Makes it maybe little bit easier there.

Q. Apologies if this has been asked before, but what are your thoughts about Justine? It's such a grind out there, and yet she was No. 1 with Roland Garros and then Wimbledon coming. Were you surprised? What are your reflections?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Yeah, I was definitely very surprised when I saw that evening the press conference that she had, yeah, kind of explaining that she just had enough. That was basically what she was saying, and that it was too much of a pain sometimes to practice or be on the court to play matches or too much stress or whatever.

So I was very surprised. It's very young to retire, definitely. But I guess she's ‑‑ she's almost done it all, and it's just maybe she wants to get to something else, a different life and different ‑‑ not as stressful and, yeah, rigid, maybe, in the program and everything.

You have to be careful to ‑‑ everything that you do, that you eat, when you sleep. It's really 24‑hour job, kind of. So, yeah, I guess she just had enough. But very surprising, definitely.

Q. With all the intensity there is out there, have you ever thought, enough, I will quit tomorrow?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: No. To me, it was never a question of I'm going to stop now. It's more of a process. But last year I asked myself some questions concerning the retirement, and whether ‑‑ it was more of do I have the energy to keep going and keep making these sacrifices that I was talking about.

So, yeah, these kind of questions were there and were in my mind, and I guess the answer was that I'm not done yet and that I want to still try to do a few good things.

THE MODERATOR: Questions in French?

Q. How did you feel today with regards to the pain you suffered recently?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Well, that was rather positive throughout the match, especially during the second part when I tried to speed up my serve. Because there was a shot I had the most problems with during my preparations, so that's quite reassuring. I think it's getting better.

Now, in the match I had ups and downs, good things and some big mistakes, and that's also linked to very short preparation time. But that's the kind of match that's nice to get through, and especially with such a third set.

So now all I have to do is hope it gets better for my next match.

Q. Your face was sort of very closed. In your thoughts. Were you thinking you might lose the match at one stage?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: No. This kind of idea never crossed my mind. I was very focused, I wanted to be in the match, and I wanted to live the match intensely. I'm not moaning, but that's my way of focusing on the match.

Q. We have a feeling that this was a match in three different modes for you.

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Yes. The third set was totally different from the others, that's for sure. Now, in the middle of the second set, after we came back after the break because of the rain, I felt a bit down. I probably ill‑managed my food intake.

Q. What did you think at the beginning of the third set?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Well, I didn't want to give her any points, because I had been giving her lots of points since 2‑2. So I just wanted to be faster on my legs and I ate a bit. I just decided I would not give her any more points, because this is what I told you when we met on Friday.

I said, Well, to start with, I'll try to make as few mistakes as possible, and then I'll see.

Q. For the Serbian press, do you think you're going to play Ivanovic or Jankovic?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: I have not looked at the draw, so I don't know.

Q. Yes, but are you preparing yourself to play them? Because it's not impossible you might play one or the other.

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: No, I'm not preparing myself, especially for that.

Q. So you're not preparing anything special?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Well, I know them both quite well because I've played them quite a few times, but I really want to play one match after the other.

I'm not going to play Jankovic or Ivanovic for the second round. At least nobody told me that, so you have to adjust as it goes.

So I want to focus on my tennis, first on my game, and then you have to adjust a bit depending on your opponent. But that also requires confidence in what you can do.

Q. Would this be a reassuring match for you because you had very short preparation period?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Well, it is reassuring from a physical standpoint, because I started feeling much better over the weekend. But I had many questions in my mind and many doubts before the tournament started.

Now, I also realized that I need to improve my serve. I have kind of a small fear somewhat, so I have to get rid of that. I hope that with this match I can overcome all these mental fears I have.

Q. How would you compare this tournament to the others you played? You are in an outsider position.

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Yes, I am an outsider. So I have less personal expectations, that's for sure. And then, as I said, I'll see that one match at a time.

Anyway, this is always what I've done, but it's going to be even more true.

Q. And what do you feel when you walk on the court?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Less tension. Less pressure. On this match this is what I felt anyway.

Q. What about your next opponent? Do you know her? Do you know who she is? It's Suarez, Suarez Navarro. She is 132 in the ranking.

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: No. I don't know her, but I'll ask Pauline. Am I playing her tomorrow? I don't know. I don't have the schedule. Is it raining again? Oh, yeah, okay.

Q. How many more victories do you need?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: How many? Well, that's difficult. I'm doing everything I can to be at my best level. As I said in English, I still want to achieve some beautiful things. As you get older, you need to have a good preparation. There is no secret. This is what I try and do, even though now it's a bit difficult at the moment from a physical standpoint.

This is a question that crossed my mind last year, but I managed to find positive answers in terms of motivation.

Q. Instead of talking of envy or desire, let's talk about pleasure. After all the health problems you had, do you still have pleasure playing tennis?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Yes. But you're right, it's important. And when we were talking about Justine earlier, I think this is what she no longer felt. I think she used the words "suffering and pain," and these are powerful words.

This is something I never felt so far in my career, because I tried to work differently from a psychological standpoint. I still have pleasure playing and being on the court.

Q. Do you reckon that having a life, a different life? You enjoy life, you enjoy good wine, and good food? Does it add to your pleasure?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Oh, you mean does it show? No, but seriously, it's a bit difficult to say. I don't know what her life is like when she's not playing tennis. Does she have something else? I don't know.

As far as I am concerned, I have the feeling that I do enjoy other things yet. You know, when you're a professional tennis player you need to be careful about your life, hygiene, but I can't be 100% in tennis all the time every day of my life.

That's the way I am, so I do other things. I don't have much time to do other things, but I do when I have time.

Q. Being an outsider on this tournament, does it mean that if you make many mistakes in a row you won't start panicking?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Well, probably you're right. But I'm always very demanding, so even if I know that I'm not playing my best tennis right now, and it's probably normal, I make mistakes and I miss more balls than in the past, I'm still very demanding and I still want to play well and be happy with my tennis.

So I have to adjust, because this preparation period was very short this year. Even on those phases when I was making many mistakes today, I try and hold on and try to win.
JOIE
JOIE

Back to top Go down

Post by yvonne Wed May 28, 2008 11:10 pm

Thanks for the article JOIE! roll

I saw this long post and I thought it's your new script. Silly me!ROLAND GARROS!!! 2008 Invision-Board-France-547

I miss your scripts ROLAND GARROS!!! 2008 Invision-Board-France-525
yvonne
yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post by yvonne Wed May 28, 2008 11:14 pm

B, where are you? ROLAND GARROS!!! 2008 Invision-Board-France-490

It's time to get drunk and start the match thread! ROLAND GARROS!!! 2008 Smiley-IPB-264
yvonne
yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post by JOIE Thu May 29, 2008 1:59 am

yvonne wrote:Thanks for the article JOIE! roll

I saw this long post and I thought it's your new script. Silly me!ROLAND GARROS!!! 2008 Invision-Board-France-547

I miss your scripts ROLAND GARROS!!! 2008 Invision-Board-France-525

Yeah that was a script, Y. Did it sound real?
Kidding.... Big laugh

Hey B, 2nd match at CHATRIER tomorrow....
JOIE
JOIE

Back to top Go down

Post by babyb Thu May 29, 2008 3:02 am

yvonne wrote:B, where are you? ROLAND GARROS!!! 2008 Invision-Board-France-490

It's time to get drunk and start the match thread! ROLAND GARROS!!! 2008 Smiley-IPB-264

hey, hey, you two...go easy on me...I'm working on it roll ...first glass at the moment and knowing me it should be enough ROLAND GARROS!!! 2008 Invision-Board-France-09 Big laugh

JOIE wrote:Hey B, 2nd match at CHATRIER tomorrow....
babyb
babyb

Back to top Go down

Post by JOIE Thu May 29, 2008 6:27 pm

RG 2008 ended for Momo in the 2nd round. Here's the interview -

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Q. First of all, what have you got to say about this match?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Well, frankly, I don't know what to say right now, because there was nothing much on my side, apart from a few games in which I was slightly more aggressive and not letting her play that game that much.

But I don't know if I lacked rigor in my intentions. I don't know if I let her impose her style too much, because she has a typically Spanish style. It's usually men playing like that, so she has a very long shot, but her balls were not that fast.

So that's it. It's a bit difficult for me to analyze all this. And all I can say is that I feel sorry about the way I played, especially from a tactical standpoint.

Q. Apparently you had not many solutions. What was your tactics at the beginning?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Well, even though I had never played her, I knew more or less that what type of game she would produce. And when I said I missed the match, it's because I knew that I should not have accepted to play these long rallies because I know that this is something she's very good at.

But I should have done what I managed to do for a couple of games in the second set: hit the ball earlier and play passing shots even if, in that case, my percentage would have been slightly worse.

But the objective ‑‑ this was my tactic before I got on the court, and I did not go by this plan enough.

Q. In the second set you came to 4‑3 with other intentions, apparently.

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Yes, I forgot about my intentions, and I let her take the lead. I don't know what else I can say.

Q. I saw you play for the first time in 1995 against Nathalie Baudone, and I followed your results here in Paris. My question is: What's wrong in Paris as compared to other tournaments for you?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Clay. (laughter.) That's the first point. silent

Q. I had noticed.

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: There is also the Eiffel Tower.

Q. These are good answers, but maybe not the only reason.

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Well, if you know the real answer, maybe I'd like to know about it. (laughter.)

Q. Maybe we can talk about it together.

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Oh, no, that's for a fact. We won't talk about it together. But beyond just the surface, it's not just Paris. I've already missed matches like that, whether here or elsewhere, with everything else, which I've been worried about over the last few weeks, or even over the last few months.

Q. Are there any different approach for you when you come to Roland Garros, or is there just a match that you missed?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: No, it's just a match that I missed. I have not respected our plan, our tactics. I've not had enough time to develop what I wanted to implement, and there's nothing more I can add.

Q. Let's talk about your opponent, because she's somebody we don't know at all. She qualified. She comes from qualification. She moves quite a lot and she doesn't make that many mistakes, so it can't be easy to play.

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Well, she has a typical game for clay. The perfect game for clay.

When I started being more aggressive, when I started to hit the ball slightly earlier, she had more difficulties. That was reflected by the few moments when I managed to implement my tactics.

This is a girl you have to be aggressive with. You don't want to play her again, because in that case, she won't give you many points and she knows this type of game.

Q. You said that on some occasions you managed to play the way you wanted to play, but on other games you managed to score two beautiful points. Then afterwards, at 30‑Love, Love‑30 many times, but then you didn't manage to go any further. Is it because you had problems with your concentration or remaining focused?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Probably, but I also think it's because I didn't choose the good options at some stage. Overall, during the match, it couldn't work, apart from those very few occasions when I was leading. That's a bit frustrating.

Q. As for your legs, you seem to have problems.

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Well, everything is connected. If I'm not determined, if I'm not willing to win every point, you know, then everything's connected: your legs and everything's linked.

Q. You have great experience. With regards to a possible change of tactics, how do you explain you didn't manage to change your tactics?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: I have no explanation for that. Well, I changed it, but over too short a period of time. After I changed my style, because I was just reacting to something else, and not because I was determined to do that. But that's something I'll talk about with our Italian friend here.

Q. And wouldn't you say the number of matches you played played a great role?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: I'm not even certain. Well, probably. Probably, because when you've played enough matches you know how you are, you know how you play, and you know what works.

So probably yes, but it's difficult to say this is true, this is absolutely true.

Q. What's your mindset now knowing that you've been fighting for months to come back to your traditional or your standard level? Are you disappointed you've not managed to reach the level you wanted to reach?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: No. What's disappointing is playing a match like this that I totally missed, so I'm obviously disappointed, quite frustrated, and that's it.

Q. This tournament was also important for you to qualify for the Olympic Games. Are you aware of this? Are you worried?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Right now, no. While it's true that the Olympic Games are still an objective for me, I've not kept an eye on the ranking, et cetera. So this is not something I'm aware of right now.

Right now this is not my top priority, even though I do want to take part in the Olympic Games.

Q. Can you tell us what you're going to do in the coming days? What's your agenda?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: No. No. We said we would play the match with Fabrice Santoro, so anything can happen. I don't know if I'll play it or not.

Then I'll start on grass, and I hope I'll have ‑‑ my tennis will be better, and I hope that from a physical standpoint I'll be okay.
JOIE
JOIE

Back to top Go down

Post by yvonne Thu May 29, 2008 10:07 pm

Thanks JOIE! smile
yvonne
yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post by babyb Fri May 30, 2008 4:26 pm

Serena's out .
I'll miss her outfit Big laugh Really nice this year smile

ROLAND GARROS!!! 2008 B_012_10
babyb
babyb

Back to top Go down

Post by JOIE Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:14 pm

Williams sisters out. Suddenly the bottom tougher half of the draw became lighter.
I was thinking a week ago Amelie would have to go through Venus, Serena and/or the two
Serbs to get to the final. But then again she had to succumbed to someone ranked in the 100s. Rolling Eyes

I think it'll be Ana vs Jalena in the Semi. Safina/Dementieva vs Kutznetsova on the other half.

The men's side is pretty interesting too.
Ginepri who hasn't won a single clay match actually got to the 4th round.
Ljubicic seems to have found his bearings beating Davydenko.
Monfils is to be having a breakthrough tournament
Nalbandian getting the boot from the French wild card Chardy in the 2nd rnd.

It'll be an interesting semi with Nadal vs Novak.
I think Nadal will still reign as king of clay. While the women's side is rather open.
JOIE
JOIE

Back to top Go down

Post by babyb Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:48 pm

Akiko Morigami has apologised and denied match-fixing
after suggesting she and doubles partner Aiko Nakamura
were asked to deliberately lose at the French Open.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest+News/Sports/STIStory_243613.html
babyb
babyb

Back to top Go down

Post by JOIE Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:11 pm

Quarter final results so far -

Federer won against Gonzalez after dropping a set -
Safina won against Dementieva in 3 sets -
Monfills won the first set against Ferrer currently tied in the 2nd...
Kuznetsova needed only 2 sets to get to the Semi

Very interesting Semi on both sides.
Looking forward to Nadal vs Djokovic and the Ana vs Jalena match.
JOIE
JOIE

Back to top Go down

Post by yvonne Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:57 pm

thanks JOIE! roll

Goooooooo Dinara!!! come on
yvonne
yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post by JOIE Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:02 pm

Welcome Y! Very Happy

I didn't get to see the Ana vs Jalena match.
It looked closely fought.

So it's Dinara vs Ana in the final.
Great. Should be a good match as both are playing really well
and deserve to be in the final.
Ana clinched the no. 1 ranking by the way regardless of
Saturday's results.

Looking forward to Nadal vs Djokovic tomorrow.
JOIE
JOIE

Back to top Go down

Post by babyb Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:30 am

I'm sooooooooo disappointed that Jelena lost.
I'm with you Y...Go Safina!!!
If we have to watch ball bashing in the final than I'd rather someone with a temper to win.
Bring on the human element.
babyb
babyb

Back to top Go down

Post by JOIE Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:19 pm

B, I would think you would want the first Serbian woman to win a Grand Slam - win a Grand Slam. But then again, tennis is an individual sport.

The score looked like a dissappointing "chokey" performance from Novak.
What happened? I was expecting a tight 5 sets. huh
JOIE
JOIE

Back to top Go down

Post by yvonne Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:49 pm

JOIE wrote:B, I would think you would want the first Serbian woman to win a Grand Slam - win a Grand Slam. But then again, tennis is an individual sport.

The score looked like a dissappointing "chokey" performance from Novak.
What happened? I was expecting a tight 5 sets. huh

Novak seemed to be lost huh Rafa was fast and focused, he really played amazing wink

PS I'm not saying that only because I have to incognito Big laugh
yvonne
yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post by yvonne Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:57 pm

The final...hmmm.. I'm gonna cheer for Safina, because I don't really like Ivanovic (sorry JOIE roll), I don't know why, I think the antipathy started at RG 2005 not amused and it never disappeared huh
yvonne
yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post by babyb Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:05 pm

JOIE wrote:B, I would think you would want the first Serbian woman to win a Grand Slam - win a Grand Slam. But then again, tennis is an individual sport.

Only if it was me Big laugh otherwise I don't care.
babyb
babyb

Back to top Go down

Post by babyb Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:06 pm

yvonne wrote:The final...hmmm.. I'm gonna cheer for Safina, because I don't really like Ivanovic (sorry JOIE roll), I don't know why, I think the antipathy started at RG 2005 not amused and it never disappeared huh

Big laugh

and now Federer is dismantling Monfils...what else is new...boooooring as Homer would say Big laugh
babyb
babyb

Back to top Go down

Post by yvonne Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:18 pm

babyb wrote:

Only if it was me Big laugh otherwise I don't care.

ROLAND GARROS!!! 2008 Invision-Board-France-182
yvonne
yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post by JOIE Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:19 pm

I suppose Momo fans will find it hard to warm up to Ivanovic. But then again, from another perspective – the girl who beat Amelie one to many times is now world no. 1. Amelie didn’t exactly lose to a fly by night player.

I like Ana’s chances though because she’s been in the final twice and I don’t believe she’s intimidated by Safina – unlike against Henin and Sharapova. She knows how it feels and what it’s like to be there. Safina will have to cope with those jitters. But then again, that kid survived match points in two matches. So who knows, maybe she’ll tune everyone out and carved a name for herself in the history books.
As she said in the last interview – I’m ready to die in the court on that day – something like that (wait, didn’t we hear that from someone circa 2006? Big laugh ).

Hey, good to talk about some real tennis in this board eh.... wink
JOIE
JOIE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next